Sunday, May 22, 2005

Day Eight

Got the heck outta Dodge today. And by Dodge I mean Groningen. After about a zillion (I lost count somewhere between "a lot" and "hekuva lot"), we made it to Dordrecht (nobody else has heard of it either, but it is near Rotterdam). Now we are staying with a guy named um.....something. Rob, what was his name? He was cool.
He took us to see windmills (a hekuva lot, to be precise). Holy cow, there were windmills everywhere. And ducks. Lots of ducks. Rob, what was the windmill and duck place called again? It must be late.
Oh, geez, I almost forgot. On the way to Dordrecht we stopped at the Dutch Royal Palace. Lots of cool wallpaper and paintings of naked people, which smart people call "culture". Whatever its called, that wallpaper is something else, I tell ya. Rob, what was the palace called? Het Loo or something. Anyway hereĀ“s an old-timey drawing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey TR,
Have you tried any Dutch cheeses yet? I'm sure you have, they're heavenly... salt licorice is nice too. When I visit Nederland in 'x' years, I'm going to check for that 5 cent coin you left in the bench... maybe by then it will be a collectors coin or something.

8:32 PM  
Blogger T.R. said...

Well it is already worth five cents, at least.

Yes, Mr. Ofthehead, I had the cheese. It was good but I am afraid I lost my taste for it when I ate it every morning with bread and jam, etc.
Gouda, to be precise. Named after a dutch town it turns out. But it seems we have been pronouncing it wrong all this time.

How to pronounce "Gouda":

the G: make a phlegm-gathering throat clearing noise, sort of like the CH in the Scottish "Ach".

the OU: Like the "Ow!" as in, "Ow! You just smashed my hand with a hammer. Stop it."

The DA: like the duh in "Lafawnduh".

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home