Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Day Twelve

Church indeed! Being Sunday, we went to Koln ward meeting. Fun! No infrared headsets with English translation here though. I had to have one of the missionaries translate the whole three hour block for me. Poor Guy. And I murdered the hymns, particularly "put your shoulder to the wheel", or whatever that is in Germanese. Not that it was really a good one to begin with. But I digress.

So next we changed hostels to a slightly less expensive, much dirtier and smoke-filled one that was right by the train station. Not the best idea, in retrospect, as you will see later.

But the day was still young, so we did what any twenty-somethings in Koln, Germany on a sunday afternoon would do. Went to St. Goar, of course. I hadn't heard of it either, but St. Goar is a small, slightly touristy town on the Rhine River, which is home to the Lorreley. Again, hadn't heard of it, but Rob had an entire poem about the place memorized in German. I really should read more.

The ferrey to the Lorreley was expensive so Rob and I, being cheap, walked there. Good thing to, since all the people who rode the ferry missed out on some prime rock-skipping. A police boat (?) cruised passed and they yelled at us about something. Not speaking German, we ignored them and they left. Moral: always ignore the police.

Afterwards we went out to dinner and ate........Brautwurst and sauerkraut, woohoo! Very nice. The weather was cool, and we missed our train so we did a little hike up this nice but desserted trail right by the train station.

Train, hostel, toothbrush, bed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob, this is Erin. I know you probably haven't read this, let alone posted anything. But the comment that TR made (I don't think I know you, sorry) about Die Loreli (I don't know how to spell it either) totally cracked me up... I remember parts of that poem, but not the entire thing anymore. Good old Frau Grun...

Glad you guys are having fun. I loved visiting Switzerland when I was there.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home