Monday, June 06, 2005

Day Twenty One (TR)

Alright, well Rob took care of most of the day for us, but here is my solo half:

From the Fontana di Trevi, I started walk-running back to the bus stop we had gotten off at. I thought I might have trouble finding it, but it was easy because all I had to do was follow the trail of sites we had seen on the way to the fountain. Basilici, the Pantheon, the French embassy, a restaurant where I dropped my pizza bianca on the floor and they gave me a new one (nice of them).

So I found the stop and waited. And waited. And waited......till thirty minutes had passed. Very frustrating. Deciding that my bus was not coming, I made the decision to get on whatever bus came next. I know this isprobably a bad idea, but it worked! a few minutes later I was back in the Vatican, then on my way to the hostel. Grabbed my bags and got on the bus going toward the stazione (train station). I sat on the bus for twenty minutes before it left its stop. Grrr! That's alright, I've still an hour before the last train leaves to Citavecchia, where there's a ferry to Barcelona. It took AN HOUR AND TWENTY MINUTES TO GO THE BLOODY STATION! The metro, which was on strike today, takes only fifteen minutes.

Curse you Rome, curse you and your baffling and inefficient public transit system! So the ferry is gone. Alright, maybe there'sa night train. There is, but it doesn't leave for five hours. I went to a Catholic mass, which was kind of cool, then wasted a couple of hours in cyberspace, then napped in the station near my platform. No way was I going to spend another night in this punctuality-forsaken city. Got on the night train, climbed into my bunk, and fell asleep despite the shouting of school children who were on some sort of field trip.

It was during the metro/bus/train fiasco that I wished I hadn't thrown a 5 euro cent coin over my shoulder into the Fontana di Trevi this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home